-- Robert Preidt
SUNDAY, Oct. 17 (HealthDay News) -- For most kids, Halloween
parties and trick-or-treating can be a mixture of fun and
frightening, but for children with a nut allergy, the day can
actually be dangerous, warns a doctor.
This type of allergy "can be a life-or-death situation. Just
because a child only had a rash the first time exposed doesn't mean
it won't be more serious the next time," Dr. Sean Cahill, an
associate professor of pediatrics at Loyola University Chicago
Stritch School of Medicine, said in a Loyola news release.
"Though having a nut allergy is serious, kids should still be able to have fun. The key is education. Make sure your child knows what he or she can eat," Cahill added.
He offered the following suggestions for keeping children safe
at Halloween parties:
Cahill also offered trick-or-treat safety tips:
"A peanut allergy is not limited to peanuts. Some people with a peanut allergy are allergic to numerous types of nuts and seeds, and nut allergies are often seen in kids with other food allergies, like eggs, or in kids with asthma and eczema," Cahill added.
The U.S. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
has more about
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing. All rights reserved.