(HealthDay News) -- Indoor mold can lead to allergy and respiratory problems that can prove deadly.

The Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America (AAFA) and the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology (AAAAI) offer these suggestions for keeping mold growth in your home under control:

  • Keep the indoor humidity level at less than 40 percent. A hygrometer can help you monitor indoor humidity. A dehumidifier and/or air conditioner may be needed, especially in damp areas of the home.
  • Fix the source of any water leaks that allow mold spores to grow on windowsills or in refrigerator drip pans.
  • Identify areas where molds and mildew reside on hard surfaces, and clean these areas with a bleach-based product.
  • Make sure your home has adequate ventilation. Use exhaust fans in the kitchen and bathroom, and ventilate clothes dryers to the outside.
  • Clean your shower curtain frequently.
  • Minimize the number of live indoor plants.
  • Keep windows closed, if possible.
  • Do not carpet bathrooms and basements, especially if there are mildew problems in these rooms.