Here are some of the latest health and medical news
developments, compiled by the editors of HealthDay:
Mysterious SARS-like Virus May Spread Between People
Health officials in Great Britain say that a coronavirus linked
to the SARS virus may be able to be passed person-to-person.
The British Health Protection Agency also reported the world's
11th case of infection with the virus, prior cases of which had
been mainly restricted to the Middle East. The agency believes the
latest person to be infected probably caught it from a family
The latest patient is a U.K. resident who had close personal
contact with an earlier case but who had not traveled to the Middle
East. The patient, who may have been especially vulnerable due to
an underlying health issue, is being treated at a Birmingham
"Although this case provides strong evidence for person-to-person transmission, the risk of infection in most circumstances is still considered to be very low," John Watson, head of the respiratory diseases department at the Health Protection Agency, said in a statement. "If (the) novel coronavirus were more infectious, we would have expected to have seen a larger number of cases."
The World Health Organization believes that human-to-human
transmission of the coronavirus may have occurred before. Of the 11
cases on record, five people have died, the
Coronaviruses comprise germs that can cause a wide variety of
respiratory illnesses, including the common cold and SARS. The 2003
SARS outbreak killed more than 800 people worldwide.
Carbonated Malt Beverage Must List Alcohol Content on Can:
The maker of a carbonated alcoholic drink that is popular on
college campuses will now be required to disclose exactly how much
alcohol is in each container, the U.S. Federal Trade Commission
The new labeling is part of a settlement over deceptive
marketing charges that were filed by the FTC against Phusion
Products and its "Four Loko" drinks, the
The Chicago-based company will have to put the new labeling on
its flavored malt beverages that contain more than two servings of
alcohol per container. And it will have to redesign the containers
that contain more than 2 servings of alcohol in a way that will
allow the container to be resealed so some of the drink can be
saved for later consumption, the wire service reported.
The FTC had claimed that the company suggested in advertising
that its 23.5-ounce can of Four Loko was equal to two beers when
the cans were really equal to four or five beers, according to the
"We share a common interest with the FTC in providing consumers with information and packaging options to help them make informed, responsible decisions," company co-founder Jaisen Freeman said in a statement.
In 2010, several college students in New Jersey and Washington
state were hospitalized in connection with drinking Four Loko
drinks, which also had caffeine in them at the time. The company
has since removed caffeine from its Four Loko products, but it kept
the high amounts of alcohol, the
Heart Attack Grill 'Spokesman' Dies of Heart Attack
An unofficial spokesman of the Las Vegas' Heart Attack Grill --
home to "Flatliner Fries" and a nearly 10,000-calorie burger --
collapsed with a fatal heart attack last week while waiting for a
bus outside the restaurant, the
Las Vegas Sunreported Tuesday.
John Alleman, 52, was taken to a hospital where he was removed
from life support on Monday, according to Heart Attack Grill owner
Basso said Alleman became a frequent patron and booster for the
restaurant, which has a medical theme to its menu, including
offerings such as the 9,982-calorie, 3-pound Quadruple Bypass
Alleman, who worked security at a construction site, could often
be found many days standing outside the restaurant's doors, urging
passersby to eat there, the
While not on the Heart Attack Grill's payroll, Alleman became
such a fixture that his "Patient John" caricature is on the menu
and restaurant merchandise.
Alleman isn't the first patron to suffer heart trouble after
eating at the high-calorie restaurant. In 2012 a man had what was
believed to be a heart attack while eating a Triple Bypass Burger,
and two months later a woman had a similar health crisis while
eating a Double Bypass Burger, the
Basso called Alleman's death a "wake-up call" but said it
wouldn't alter the restaurant's menu. "(Alleman's death) isn't
going to stop us from what we're doing. People have got to live
their lives," he told the
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing. All rights reserved.