-- Robert Preidt
SATURDAY, April 12, 2014 (HealthDay News) -- More than 1.2
million American children under the age of 6 swallow or come into
contact with poisonous substances each year.
The American Academy of Pediatrics offers advice on preventing
and treating poisonings.
Medicines, pesticides, cleaning products, furniture polish,
antifreeze, windshield-wiper fluid, gasoline, kerosene and lamp oil
are among the most dangerous potential poisons in or near the
Most child poisonings occur when parents or caregivers are at
home but not paying attention to youngsters, the AAP said in a news
release. It's important to be especially watchful when there is a
change in household routine, such as holidays, visits to and from
relatives, and other special events.
Store medicines, pesticides, cleaning and laundry products, and
paints and varnishes in their original packaging in locked cabinets
or containers that are out of sight and reach of children.
Check the label every time you give a child medicine to ensure
the correct dosage, the AAP said. When giving children liquid
medicines, use the dosing device that came with the product. Never
call medicine "candy" or other appealing names and be sure to throw
out unused medicines. Never put poisonous items in food or drink
If your child has swallowed or come in contact with poison and
is unconscious, not breathing or having convulsions, call 911 or
your local emergency number immediately, the AAP said. If your
child has swallowed poison, have the child spit out any remaining
substance, but do not make the child vomit and do not use syrup of
If a child's skin has come into contact with poison, remove the
child's clothes and rinse the skin with lukewarm water for at least
15 minutes, the AAP said.
If poison has gotten into a child's eyes, flush their eyes by
holding the eyelid open and pouring a steady stream of
room-temperature water into the inner corner of the eye for 15
minutes, the AAP said.
If a child has been exposed to poisonous fumes, take the child
outside or into fresh air immediately. If the child is not
breathing, start CPR and do not stop until the child breathes on
his or her own, or until another person can take over CPR.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has more
EBSCO Information Services is fully accredited by URAC. URAC is an independent, nonprofit health care accrediting organization dedicated to promoting health care quality through accreditation, certification and commendation.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Information Services. All rights reserved.