(HealthDay News) -- Since you can't see, smell or taste deadly carbon monoxide gas, a special detector can help alert you to its presence in your home.

The Home Safety Council offers these recommendations to help protect against carbon monoxide poisoning:

  • Place at least one carbon monoxide detector near areas where you sleep.
  • Have a professional perform annual maintenance on your heating system and any fireplaces to properly clean and inspect them.
  • Have any gas appliances serviced regularly, and make sure they're correctly adjusted.
  • Gas or charcoal grills and portable generators should only be used outdoors -- never inside homes or garages.
  • Never heat your home with your range or oven.