TUESDAY, April 3 (HealthDay News) -- Several Rhode Island
residents had a brush with the emergency room because of sharp wire
bristles that made their way from barbecue grills into their
The wire bristles, which came from the metallic brushes used to
clean grills, apparently ended up in barbecued beef or chicken that
the patients ate, a new report said. From there, the bristles went
to their throats and stomachs and caused serious medical
Emergency physicians elsewhere said they'd never seen this
happen. So might the nation's smallest state be the home to its
biggest problem with renegade grill-cleaner bristles? Report lead
author Dr. David Grand isn't so sure.
"Certainly, we all love to grill, though I can't say for certain that Rhode Islanders grill anymore than other Americans. More likely, once we became aware of this problem we began looking for it, and if we don't specifically look for this we will not find it," said Grand, a radiologist at Rhode Island Hospital in Providence.
Within an 18-month period from 2009 to 2010, six patients
appeared at the hospital with symptoms of abdominal pain or painful
swallowing. The patients -- aged 11 to 75 and including five
females -- didn't know the cause, although they'd all eaten grilled
meats within the last two to 24 hours.
Scans or x-rays revealed metallic bristles in their necks or
lower in their digestive systems. The bristles caused serious
problems in some cases; for instance, a bristle perforated the
stomach and liver of one patient who had to stay in the hospital
for six days.
"Treatment for these patients involves removal of the wire," Grand said. "If the wire is lodged in the mouth or throat, this may be accomplished by an ear, nose and throat doctor or gastroenterologist who can use a small scope to find and remove the wire. If, however, the wire has perforated the intestine at the time of presentation, surgery with removal of the affected bowel segment will usually be required."
In each case, the patients had eaten food grilled on a barbecue
that had been cleaned just before cooking. It seems that the
bristles fell off the brushes, landed on the grill and ended up in
the food. "All of the patients in our [group] ate meat -- either
beef or chicken," Grand said. "It is unclear if they simply were
not grilling their vegetables, weren't eating vegetables or if the
bristles don't stick as easily to vegetables placed on the
Emergency physicians said they're familiar with a variety of
ingested foreign objects in patients, but not this particular one.
Toothpicks may be the closest thing, said Dr. Michael Lanigan, an
attending physician in emergency medicine at SUNY Downstate Medical
Center in New York City. Sharp objects, he said, can cause
perforations anywhere in the digestive tract.
What should you do to prevent bristles from getting into your
food when you grill?
"When my pop had a charcoal grill, he'd do a good rinse to get off the residue," Lanigan said. You can rinse the cooking grates in the sink or with a hose "and make sure you didn't leave anything on there," he said.
Grand, the report author, has his own cleaning method.
"Anecdotally, although I have no scientific proof that this works,
I now wipe my grill with a wet paper towel after using a brush,
hoping to remove any dislodged bristles," said Grand.
The report appears online and in the April print issue of the
American Journal of Roentgenology.
For more about
grill safety, see the U.S. National Fire Protection Association.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing. All rights reserved.