-- Robert Preidt
SATURDAY, March 30 (HealthDay News) -- Single-load liquid
laundry packets are becoming more popular but need to be used and
stored safely. The concentrated detergent in the packets can cause
harm if it is swallowed or gets into the eyes, an industry group
"Laundry packets are different and need to be handled differently," Nancy Bock, senior vice president of education at the American Cleaning Institute, said in a institute news release. "While these products are convenient and easy for consumers to use, it's vital for parents and caregivers to use and store these products safety and securely."
She offered the following safety tips:
The safety advice was released to coincide with National Poison
Prevention Week (March 17 to 23), but the safe and proper use of
all cleaning products is a year-round necessity, Bock said.
"It is possible to prevent accidents involving these products and prevent a trip to the doctor's office or emergency room," said Bock, who is vice chairwoman of the National Poison Prevention Week Council.
She reminded parents and caregivers to keep the toll-free number
for the Poison Control Center (800-222-1222) in a handy
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency explains how to
poison-proof your home.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing. All rights reserved.