The building formerly known as Doctors’ Hospital and now transformed as the WK Rehabilitation Institute was opened to the public on Sunday, Feb. 12.
Bo Boyd, son of former Doctors’ Hospital administrator Charles Boyd, joined James K. Elrod, president and CEO of Willis-Knighton Health System, to cut the ribbon. Joining them in the ceremony conducted by the Shreveport Chamber of Commerce were Shreveport Mayor Ollie Tyler; Eric Bicknell, MD, medical director of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation; John Richie, MD, medical director of Behavioral Medicine; Raja Zabaneh, MD, medical director for Inpatient and Outpatient Renal Dialysis for Willis-Knighton Health System, and William S. Bundrick, Sr., MD, of the Bone & Joint Clinic, who practiced for many years at Doctors’ Hospital.
A preview event prior to the public open house offered former employees of Doctors’ Hospital an opportunity to visit their previous workplace. During the public open house, visitors toured the building which has undergone major renovations. The entrance, formerly on Louisiana Avenue, has been reoriented to Line Avenue. The new address is 1111 Line Avenue.
As a freestanding hospital focused on rehabilitation services, the institute includes inpatient and outpatient physical medicine, both moving from Willis-Knighton Medical Center, and inpatient behavioral medicine, moving from Willis-Knighton South. Outpatient renal dialysis is also moving to this location from Willis-Knighton Medical Center. Staff from each of these services talked to visitors their new units and to explained the services and technology at the new hospital.
Willis-Knighton purchased Doctors’ Hospital in February 2015 and began renovations. In 2016 the health system purchased the Hamilton Terrace school on Louisiana Avenue to allow for expansion of the campus. Willis-Knighton has a history of purchasing and restoring older properties, with a goal of building the future on the solid foundation of the past.